– Class 1 Master mariner Unlimited CoC
– Internal ISM Auditor certificate
– Advanced Project Management Certificate
– Management Development Program Certificate
– NEBOSCH Occupational Health and Safety General Certificate
– Post Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Maritime Operations
– MsC in Sustainable Maritime Operations – In Progress
Michael started his seagoing career in 2004 in the nearshore and offshore fishing industry operating out of Cape Town serving as crew and later as skipper. He operated within a multitude of fishing sectors and completed a number of fishing vessel deliveries both locally and internationally.
In 2008 he began sailing in Oil and Chemical Tankers, Large Emergency Response and Salvage tugs, anchor handling and supply tugs and offshore marine mining vessels.
Michael has spent the majority of his sea career working within a leading salvage company, in the offshore emergency towage and salvage sector as a senior officer, before sailing as Master on Dynamic Positioning Anchor handling and Supply tugs.
He has been actively involved in a large number of marine salvage operations including a number of recent, high profile offshore towage and salvage operations.
In 2018 he was a senior officer on an offshore diamond mining vessel operating a vertical mining system whilst on an anchor spread, and in 2019 he transferred onto an intercompany onshore project role to lead the company’s safety management system simplification and alignment project, developing a deep understanding of Hazard and Risk mitigation and identification, as well as the International Safety Management (ISM) code.