Group Director, Insurance Services
- Master Mariner, CMMar
- Younger Brother – The Corporation of Trinity House
- Trustee – Missions to Seafarers International
- Liveryman and Court Assistant – The Honourable Company of Master Mariners
- Associate Fellow of the Nautical Institute
Training and Courses
- Maritime Resource Management (MRM) Course
- Auditor & Lead Auditor Training Course
- ISM and the Designated Person Ashore Course
- Team Management and Leadership Skills Course
Neale is an experienced marine professional with 14 years sea-going experience on a variety of ship types including Bulk carriers, RoRo, tankers and general cargo & multipurpose / reefer ships, including 2 years in command.
Since coming ashore in 1994, Neale has worked in the UK and Far East, initially as a marine surveyor and consultant and subsequently as QA, Commercial and Operations Managers, before joining a major P&I Club where his most recent appointment was Divisional Director with responsibility for loss prevention.
Shore-based maritime experience includes:
- Conducting cargo, ship and loss adjusting surveys, inspections and assessments of bulk and general cargo, tankers and offshore vessels.
- Preparation of QA / ISM documentation, manuals and training programmes, and conducting ISO/ISM audits of ships and shore management, as well as ISPS audits of Oil terminals.
- Risk assessment of maritime and cargo operations including stowage and securing of deck and project cargoes, and assessment of navigational operations.
- Expert witness and investigations of bulk, steel, mineral, project and general cargoes, including cargo liquefaction, damage and stowage assessment and mitigation, cargo fires, hold cleanliness, cargo handling.
- Containers, including management responsibility for regional operations, planning and logistics for a major container owner /operator and risk assessments of container stowage operations and practices ashore and on board including stowage planning and securing, stow collapse assessment and mitigation, DG cargoes.
- Forest products and timber, including carriage and securing of timber deck stowage, cargo care, handling, stowage and securing of general forest products.
- Operations of RoRo, vehicle and reefer vessel and cargoes, crude oil and petroleum products.
- Expert witness, investigations and report writing on general vessel operations, including groundings and cargo damages.
- Chartering and commercial operations, including charter party reviews, post-fixture formalities.
P&I responsibilities included working with and leading the Club’s Loss Prevention department to achieve its principal aim to help minimise claims and losses incurred by the Association’s Members. This was done by reviewing, highlighting and discussing safety awareness with seafarers and managers and sharing best practices and initiatives via technical seminars and workshops, management reviews and causal analysis.
Neale provides timely, accurate and verifiable expert advice and assistance on Marine and Technical enquiries from P&I Clubs, lawyers, shipowners & managers and seafarers. This includes queries on high value and high profile claims as well as routine cargo, navigation and technical enquiries, to assist in determining a course of measurable action.
Neale joined TMC in October 2021.